Official program of the mid-winter session of the Bishops’ Council of the African Methodist Episcopal Church February 14, 1923
South Caroliniana Library
This item documents the 1923 meeting in Columbia, S.C., of the Bishops’ Council of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The session convened at Bethel A.M.E. Church, the impressive, masonry structure built in 1921 at the corner of Sumter and Taylor Streets. This publication is significant for its portraits and biographical sketches of African American ministers and their wives from around the United States.
This booklet will also interest researchers with its views of Columbia, including Allen University and its advertisements documenting local businesses that catered to the African American community. Individuals from around the country associated with the A.M.E. Church profiled include: Rev. Richard Carroll, and his wife, Mrs. Corrie J. Carroll (p. 23), of Columbia, S.C.; Rev. D.A. Perrin, a native of Greenwood, S.C., then serving as pastor at St. Luke A.M.E. Church in Charleston, S.C. (p. 24); and others.
John Anderson Lankford (1874-1945), who appears on page thirty-six, is considered one of the first registered African American architects in the United States. A native of Missouri and a resident of Washington, D.C., Lankford specialized in structures for schools, fraternal organizations, and churches. [Note that this publication spelled his name as “Langford.”]
Following his 1908 appointment as the supervising architect for projects associated with the A.M.E. Church, Lankford’s buildings rose throughout the United States. His contributions to the built environment of South Carolina include the Bethel A.M.E. Church pictured on the cover and the Chappelle Administration Building at Allen University.
– Brian J. Cuthrell
South Caroliniana Library
Location of the Original: Forms part of the Papers of Rev. R. Carroll (1860-1929)
A history of the congregation who worshipped at Bethel AME Church, whose current home is located in old Shandon at 819 Woodrow Street. http://www.bethelcolumbia.net/history.htm
Images of the former home of Bethel A.M.E. Church on Sumter Street:
Creating the Digital Collection
The monograph was scanned on a bookedge Avision fb 6080E scanner, using Avision scanning software. Sarah Fletcher scanned the images as grayscale TIFFs at 24-bit and 600 ppi. From the TIFFs Sarah Fletcher created high quality JPEGs and added the preservation metadata to the TIFF and JPEG images. The JPEG files were uploaded to CONTENTdm. The TIFFs will be maintained as the archival masters on a SAN server, backed-up to DVD and tape.
Sarah Fletcher created the home page and the metadata for the collection. The metadata records follow the Western States Best Practices Dublin Core format and were uploaded as a tab delimited file at the same time as the images. Kate reviewed the collection and uploaded the images to the CONTENTdm database.