University of South Carolina Buildings and Grounds
South Caroliniana Library
The University of South Carolina was originally established as the South Carolina College in 1801. When the college opened in 1805, it had one building, two professors, and nine students. By 1860, the campus had developed into what is now called the Horseshoe, plus Longstreet Theatre. The campus remained limited to these nineteenth-century buildings in the Horseshoe area until 1909. The construction of Davis College that year began the continuing process of expanding and redeveloping the campus to meet the changing needs of the state’s flagship university. This evolution of the University’s physical structures is documented in these images, which are drawn from the collections of the University Archives.
Elizabeth West, University Archivist, put together this collection of 4×5 negatives of University of South Carolina buildings and grounds images for digitizing. She is primarily responsible for organizing the collection, creating the metadata, and uploading the collection to the database. Lauren Glaettli (MLIS, 2005) scanned the negatives, and Kevin Gilbertson (MLIS, 2005) and Laura Masce (MLIS, 2006) created the homepage. The work could also not have been done without the help of Tony Branch, of the systems department, who is the systems administrator for the CONTENTdm database and helps to manage the computers and scanners in the Digital Activities Department.
Creating the Digital Collection
This collection of 319 4×5 and 120 mm negatives was the first collection to be scanned with the UMAX PowerLook 2100XL transparency adapter. Lauren scanned the negatives at 300ppi for the TIFFs and created the JPEGs at lower, 144ppi or a little larger for the 120mm negatives. We began using the Magic Scan software, but switched to Silverfast because of technical difficulties from MagicScan. The JPEG images were loaded as JPEGs, including a watermark, into CONTENTdm, with the metadata. The TIFFs will be maintained as the archival masters on a SAN server, backed-up to DVD and tape.
Kevin and later, Laura, created a home page for the collection, and Elizabeth created the metadata. The metadata records follow the Western States Best Practices Dublin core format.