This collection includes letters from Munro’s purchase of a house which served as the Mt. Pleasant Home for Destitute Children, as well as legal documents from parents and guardians who signed care of impoverished African American children over to the home, financial documents, photographs, and an extensive run of the Laing School Visitor newsletter.
This collection of photographs, newspaper clippings and various manuscripts documents one of America’s foremost early twentieth-century African-American magic acts.
Once part of an album, the photographs (circa 1900) show plantations, African Americans, horses, hunting, rice threshing, wagons and carts, and churches in Berkeley County, S.C.
This small sampling of images by Miss Beulah Glover includes prints and negatives and covers the years 1941 to 1952.
The photographs in this collection show the aftermath of the 1886 Charleston earthquake shortly after it occurred.
E. Don Herd created these negatives while a student at Belton High School, Belton, S.C. and a few later while at Erskine College.
The E. E. Burson Collection consists of 253 glass plate negatives, as well as 253 contact prints made from the negatives, depicting Voorhees College students and buildings as well as townspeople and town scenes from Denmark, South Carolina.
E. T. Start of New York State moved to Camden South Carolina in 1903, as the photographer at the Kirkwood Hotel. Photographing the Winter Colony and local scenes, he spent time in Camden until c. 1945.
This collection of glass plate negatives of Charleston and Summerville was made by George LaGrange Cook in the 1880s and early 1890s.
Harbison Agricultural College began in 1885 when the Rev. Emory W. Williams of Washington, D.C. founded a school to educate young African Americans in Abbeville, S.C.