Harbison Agricultural College began in 1885 when the Rev. Emory W. Williams of Washington, D.C. founded a school to educate young African Americans in Abbeville, S.C.
This website cross-references digitized images of object and archival collections documenting the work of significant naturalists associated with the University, who worked in the South.
This collection of textbooks and printed works on nineteenth century American education have been drawn from the collections of both the Irvin Department of Rare Books and Special Collections (including the William Savage Textbook Collection) and the South Caroliniana Library.
Moving Image Research Collections’ holdings of amateur films and home movies documents family life, holiday celebrations, vacation travel and much more. These films, created in many locations across the United States and across the globe as well, represent a period of time spanning from the early 20th century to the 1970’s.
This collection of postcards from donor J.B. Hawley focuses primarily on buildings found on university campuses across the United States.
A native of Kenton, Ohio, John LeRoy Hensel came to Columbia during World War II, upon being stationed at the Columbia Army Air Base as a bomber pilot instructor.
This digital collection consists chiefly of reports relating to implementation of school desegregation that were sent to M. Hayes Mizell in his role with the American Friends Service Committee, his own speeches and writings, and photographs.
Martha Cunningham Monteith was the first trained speech therapist employed by the South Carolina public school system, establishing the inaugural program at Richland County District One in 1949.
This collection includes Maxcy Gregg’s Sporting Journal (1839–1860) as well as letters and reports from his service during the Civil War. Letters and newspaper clippings commemorating his death at the Battle of Fredericksburg are also included.
A Columbia civil rights activist, Simkins served as the South Carolina State Secretary for the NAACP, 1941 to 1957. She also had leadership roles in the renovation of Good Samaritan-Waverly Hospital and the Richland County Citizens Committee.